Friday, January 18, 2013

Nice Colleges With Fashion Design Majors photos

Diana Eng, Fairytale Fashion / Eyebeam Open Studios: Fall 2009 / 20091023.10D.55465.P1.L1.SQ.BW / SML
colleges with fashion design majors
Image by See-ming Lee 李思明 SML
Photo republished with CC-BY-SA designator for WikiCommons at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Eng

Diana Eng (born 1983 in Jacksonville, Florida) is an American fashion designer and was a contestant on the second season of the reality television program Project Runway. She attended Stanton College Preparatory School and later the Rhode Island School of Design. Eng's work has been featured on the cover of i-D magazine and in the Boston Globe. Eng held a major fashion show after the success of Project Runway and had model Diana Georgie as the opening catwalker.

///

Video interview
01. About Fairytale Fashion
02. Projects
03. Public Collaboration + Feedback

Diana Eng (Twitter / YouTube)

Resident, Eyebeam Art + Technology Center

Diana Eng is a fashion designer who specializes in technology, math, and science. Her designs range from inflatable clothing to fashions inspired by the mechanical engineering of biomimetics. In 2005, she was a designer on Season Two of the Emmy nominated hit TV show, Project Runway. She won Yahoo Hack Day in 2006 along with her two-team mates for designing and creating a blogging purse in less than 24 hours. She has worked as an assistant designer in research and development at Victoria’s Secret. She is the author of Fashion Geek: Clothes, Accessories, Tech. Her work has been featured in exhibits both in the U.S. and internationally around the globe, and has graced the pages of such publications as Women’s Wear Daily, Wired, Craft Magazine, and the cover of ID Magazine. Diana currently designs in the NYC fashion industry and is a founding member of Brooklyn based hacker group NYC Resistor.

www.dianaeng.com/
eyebeam.org/people/diana-eng


Fairytale Fashion

Diana Eng: As a fashion designer who works with science and technology, I've learned about some really amazing things. I've had some great experiences as a designer: sitting front row at fashion week, working at various fashion companies, researching at the University of Bath Mechanical Engineering Dept., being a designer on Project Runway, working in Victoriai's Secret Research and Development department, and co-founding NYC Resistor hacker group. When I was a little girl, I wish that my friends and I knew about some of the things I know today. We would have loved to play with them. Dress-up with super sparkling LED's. Imagining worlds made of deployable structures. I want to share all of the neat things I've learned, because no matter what your age, science and technology are always fun to play with.

You may not be able to sew or solder or draft a pattern or program a microcontroller. But that's okay because Fairytale Fashion is about imagining the possibilities. I will be trying my best to make them happen.


Fairytale Fashion is produced with the support of Eyebeam.

fairytalefashion.org


Eyebeam Open Studios: Fall 2009

eyebeam.org/events/open-studios-fall-2009

Eyebeam is pleased to host Open Studios for its 2009 Senior Fellows, Resident Artists, and Student Residents at Eyebeam’s state-of-the-art design, research, and fabrication studio; showcasing video performance, wearable technologies, code and humor, party technology, and sustainablity design.

///////////////

Eyebeam is the leading not-for-profit art and technology center in the United States.

Founded in 1996 and incorporated in 1997, Eyebeam was conceived as a non-profit art and technology center dedicated to exposing broad and diverse audiences to new technologies and media arts, while simultaneously establishing and demonstrating new media as a significant genre of cultural production.

Since then, Eyebeam has supported more than 130 fellowships and residencies for artists and creative technologists; we've run an active education program for youth, artists' professional development and community outreach; and have mounted an extensive series of public programs, over recent years approximately 4 exhibitions and 40 workshops, performances and events annually.

Today, Eyebeam offers residencies and fellowships for artists and technologists working in a wide range of media. At any given time, there are up to 20 resident artists and fellows onsite at Eyebeam's 15,000-square foot Chelsea offices and Labs, developing new projects and creating work for open dissemination through online, primarily open-source, publication as well as a robust calendar of public programming that includes free exhibitions, lectures and panels, participatory workshops, live performances and educational series.

eyebeam.org


Dealing With It. Me, Danielle Herner in Boothbay Harbor, ME having lunch with my sister, my nephew, and my parents 2010.
colleges with fashion design majors
Image by danielleherner
Dealing With It.

I grew up in an environment where my parents worked in social services, Mom was a grade school teacher and Dad was a United Methodist minister. What most people do not understand is that being a minister’s child entailed a lot of grace, until I was about 17 years old every Sunday was spent in church and my weeks revolved around church activities and school activities; basically serving the needs of others, listening, and sharing my talents. This was an education for me, about dealing with people even before I went to Drexel University. Although I was deemed intellectually gifted, I had no desire to really use it other than for creative purposes. My goal was always marriage-children-family, like a normal young woman. My parents just always wanted me to have whatever I wanted in life and did their best to help me achieve life goals.



When I went to college I started out as a design and merchandising major; however was thoroughly disappointed with the lack of return or good grades for my efforts put forth, as the major is incredibly subjective. I had no desire to have a college major be a “labor of love”. For example, during my first year, I had a design project that I worked on for many hours that was torn up and thrown in the trash by a professor. I am not a slacker and do not do things gradually, I put forth 150% of an effort in all I have done personally and professionally and expect to be appreciated for it, my value of getting into something 200% and than dealing with the details no matter how long it takes or this is my character. To me if you put forth an effort it is correlated to a meaningful result and life, not a guessing game unacceptable. I will not even address the unconscionable.



I never wanted to go to classes in the design school again because of this treatment. It bothered me that there was not a fair measure in the fashion and design world. I trudged through the major for a little over a year switched to psychology major and decided psychology was way too esoteric for me.



I had math and accounting classes required with the design and merchandising major where I excelled and decided it was smart to change majors. I had the opportunity to economically benefit, if necessary, from my natural skills. Also, it was a peer group that I was more comfortable with, and my sorority-Delta Zeta valued good grades. Accounting was the major, whereby I could achieve the results. It also takes a lot of intelligence and many people can’t even make it through Accounting 101 let alone finish the major and pass the Certified Public Accountant Exam.



I chose a different path from the way I was raised and went into business, and have my own perspective on dealing with life’s issues; in addition, because of love, I have also been standing on my own on this one. I love what I have, and would not change a thing. My values: I don’t believe in too much…that’s people without a heart!! And in a professional sense, people without skills!!

**Photo notes: Me, Danielle Herner in Boothbay Harbor, ME having lunch with my sister, my nephew, and my parents 2010.***


Endeavors and Time Management;Life Found Me BC I Had Goals of Family
colleges with fashion design majors
Image by danielleherner
Endeavors and Time Management.

I grew up going to church every Sunday in a time when it was a more formal dress code.
In addition sometimes I would be awake as early as 4:00 am to 5:00 am in the morning in high school to do my hair because I set my hair (in curlers), just because I was me being me!!! At college and work I used to do hot rollers, and /or French twisted my hair when I was traveling or did the many creative styles. My grandma and several relatives were in the “beauty salon” business, so it was just part of my life to take this time. I also did some modeling classes at John Casablancas and Barbizon in high school and college, and would have liked a fast track to stay interested.

With starting out as a fashion design and merchandising major in college (than taking up Accounting because it was more lucrative and I posted high grades at it), it was like the way you put yourself together really mattered, so I know a lot about this stuff.

Also with college and being in a sorority there were social obligations / studying with the organization practically every night, this was like a pure balancing act, because you had to maintain grades and stay out till sometimes 2:00 am or later in the morning, it’s called time management. I got to the point in college, where I was so planned out with my academics that sometimes the night before a final I was out with sorority sisters, and still got “A”s, because I planned my studying through iterations throughout the term and had discipline and focus. The tactics were helpful of course with future endeavors, and when you obtain professional technical skills you can do this…, which is why I always suggest folks taking up a technical profession that translates quickly after college.

I can go on and on about why Corporate Management / Internal Audit / Accounting at a publicly traded company is a great profession. I must mention that to achieve these credentials weekends and evenings are spent achieving goals and / or traveling for sometimes many years or possibly the duration of work, and most people’s motivation deals with family and future plans as opposed to a passion. This is self-explanatory; as dealing with numbers, people, and results are challenging (especially globally) and it must be reflected in compensation. And “to boot”, in terms of demeanor-to put yourself together in a professional, yet memorable way with impossible skills is where you can really take it to the next level. Personally, which is most important, I like the acknowledgement and am in no way "camera shy"-same goes for how I conducted myself professionally!!!


Bottom Line: these endeavors were a lot of work considering I was focused on good grades, a future / family, and good stuff!!! It’s how life found me!! I was always a leader, not much of a follower!!!



Note About Photo: 10/7/2011-Go Phillies!! Watching game at home with Dad, can't wait for my own house and my own cake!! Nostalgia: My High School Graduation Party when I was 17, at the time in the Philadelphia suburbs with classmates/church folks, thanks to the parents. Fashioning jewelry I made, and totally loving my look. I enjoyed to put all of my outfits/look together and even borrowed some of Mom's jewelry to finish off the look. I used to spend weekends doing my hair and makeup, competing at swimming, and going to church, because I was not allowed to do much. Photo scanned from original.


Off the Shelves exhibit case
colleges with fashion design majors
Image by Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library
Many individuals and groups have also supported Swem Library’s circulating and Rare Book collections related to LGBTQ subject areas in addition to the Richard Cornish Endowment Fund highlighted in the next case. Among these supporters are: Scott A. Bartley & Christopher T. Norris, John Hancock Brooks, Jr. ‘67, Jon Fox ‘72, Steven H. Murden ’74, Bruce R. Nyland, Michael Rogan ‘81 & Hugh Wilburn, and many others.

John Boswell ‘69 was a Yale professor and prominent historian whose major work, Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality (1980) won the American Book Award for History. An annual lecture series at the College of William and Mary was established with the Department of History by GALA to honor Dr. Boswell’s memory and academic legacy.

Perry Ellis ’61 was a major fashion designer who founded his own fashion house, Perry Ellis International, in 1978. Perry Ellis was widely recognized for his sportswear lines for men and women. Perry Ellis International remains one of the largest men’s designer brands in the U.S. and its designs for men, women, and children are sold in department stores throughout the country.

Items in this case include:
Boswell, John. Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, c1980. HQ76.3 .E8 .B67.

Boswell, John. The Kindness of Strangers: The Abandonment of Children in Western Europe from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance. New York: Pantheon Books, c1988. HV887 .E8 .B67 1988.

Boswell, John. The Marriage of Likeness: Same-Sex Unions in Pre-Modern Europe. London: Fontana Press, 1996. HQ76.3 .E8 .B68 1996. Purchase of the Richard Cornish Endowment Fund.

Bram, Christopher. “Come Back to the Ice Floe Agin Huck Honey!” 1971. Christopher Bram Papers.

Bram, Christopher. Father of Frankenstein. New York: Dutton, 1995. PS3552 .R2817 .F38 1995.

Bram, Christopher. “How Swem Library Made Me a Homosexual.” Remarks at a reception for William and Mary GALA, 2003. Christopher Bram Papers.

Bram, Christopher. Photograph, circa 2003. Christopher Bram Papers.

Bram, Christopher. Surprising Myself: A Novel. New York: D.I. Fine, c1987. PS3552 .R2817 .S8 1987. Gift of Jon Fox '72.

Bram, Christopher. “Surprising Myself” typescript, circa 1970[?]-1985. Christopher Bram Papers.

Bram, Christopher. Tenshi Kurea no omoide ni (In memory of Angel Clare). Tokyo: Hayakawa Shobo, 1992. PS3552 .R2817 .I516 1992.

Brown, Rebecca. The Haunted House. Seattle, WA: Seal Press, 1990. PS3552 .R6973 .H38 1990. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

Browning, Frank. The Culture of Desire: Paradox and Perversity in Gay Lives Today. New York: Crown, c1993. HQ76.2 .U5 .B745 1993. Gift of Jon Fox ’72.

Deitcher, David. Dear Friends: American Photographs of Men Together, 1840-1918. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 2001. To be cataloged. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

GALA reception honoring Christopher Bram, 1989. Christopher Bram Papers.

Gay, A. Nolder. Some of My Best Friends: Essays in Gay History and Biography. Boston: Union Park Press, 1990.HQ76.25 .G375 1990. Gift of Scott A. Bartley & Christopher T. Norris.

Giard, Robert. Particular Voices: Portraits of Gay and Lesbian Writers. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1997. To be cataloged. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

Heron, Ann. One Teenager in Ten: Writings by Gay and Lesbian Youth. Boston: Alyson Publications, 1983. HQ76.3 .U5 .O54 1983. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

Jay, Karla, and Allen Young. After You're Out: Personal Experiences of Gay Men and Lesbian Women. New York: Links: distributed by Quick Fox, c1975. HQ76.5 .A34. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

John Boswell Lecture flyer 1999, program 2007, William and Mary Gay and Lesbian Alumni/ae (GALA), Inc. Records.

Kleinberg, Seymour. The Other Persuasion: An Anthology of Short Fiction about Gay Men and Women. New York: Vintage Books, 1977. PN6071 .H724 .O77 1977. Gift of Bruce R. Nyland.

Mann, William J. Grave Passions: Tales of the Gay Supernatural. New York: Masquerade Books, 1997. PS648 .H57 .G73 1997. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

Perry Ellis fashion show invitation, Fall 1981. Perry Ellis Papers.

Perry Ellis fashion show program, Fall 1984. Perry Ellis Papers.

Rowe, Michael, and Thomas S. Roche. Brothers of the Night: Gay Vampire Stories. San Francisco: Cleis Press, 1997. PS648 .V35 .B76 1997. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

Sausser, Gail. More Lesbian Etiquette: Humorous Essays. Freedom, CA: Crossing Press, c1990. HQ76.6 .U5 .S37 1990. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

Singer, Bennett L. Growing up Gay: A Literary Anthology. New York: New Press: Distributed by W.W. Norton, c1994. PS509 .H57 .G76 1993. Gift of Jon Fox ’72.

Sketch from The Producers for actor Gary Beach in the role of Roger De Bris as Grand Duchess Anastasia aka the Chrysler Building, circa 2001, William Ivey Long Papers.

Townsend, Larry. The Silver Jubilee Edition Commemorating the Twenty-fifth Anniversary of The Leatherman's Handbook. New York: Masquerade Books, 1997. HQ76 .T68 1997. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

Wheat, Carolyn. Dead Man's Thoughts: A Murder Mystery. New York: Dell, c1983, 1984. PS3573 .H35 .D3 1984. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.

Willkie, Phil, and Greg Baysans. The Gay Nineties: An Anthology of Contemporary Gay Fiction. Freedom, CA: Crossing Press, c1991. PS648 .H57 .G39 1991. Gift of Scott A. Bartley & Christopher T. Norris.

Wright, Stephen. Different: An Anthology of Homosexual Short Stories. New York: Bantam Books, 1974. PN6071 .H724 .W74 1974. Gift of Steven H. Murden ’74.


Cecilia St - Temple Bar [Dublin-239]
colleges with fashion design majors
Image by infomatique
Temple Bar has two identities in that during the day it is "family friendly" but at night it is not suitable for children. Personally, while I live near the area I do my best to avoid it at night especially as Tante Zoes (my favorite restaurant) has closed.

Temple Bar located on the south bank of the River Liffey in central Dublin. Unlike the areas surrounding it, Temple Bar has preserved its medieval street pattern, with many narrow cobbled streets. It is promoted as "Dublin's cultural quarter" and has a lively nightlife that is popular with tourists.

The area is the location of many Irish cultural institutions, including the Irish Photography Centre (incorporating the Dublin Institute of Photography, the National Photographic Archives and the Gallery of Photography), the Ark Children's Cultural Centre, the Irish Film Institute, incorporating the Irish Film Archive, the Temple Bar Music Centre, the Arthouse Multimedia Centre, Temple Bar Gallery and Studio, the Project Arts Centre, the Gaiety School of Acting, IBAT College Dublin, as well as the Irish Stock Exchange and the Central Bank of Ireland. [Note: this list changes on a regular basis and some mentioned above may no longer exist]

After dark, the area is a major centre for nightlife, with many tourist-focused nightclubs, restaurants and bars. Pubs in the area include The Porterhouse, the Oliver St. John Gogarty, the Turk's Head, the Temple Bar, Czech Inn (in the former Isolde's Tower), the Quays Bar, the Foggy Dew, Eamonn Doran's and the Purty Kitchen(formerly Bad Bobs).

Two squares have been renovated in recent years — Meetinghouse Square and the central Temple Bar Square. The Temple Bar Book Market is held on Saturdays and Sundays in Temple Bar Square.

Meetinghouse Square, which takes its name from the nearby Quaker Meeting House, is used for outdoor film screenings in the summer months. Since summer 2004, Meetinghouse Square is also home to the Speaker's Square project (an area of Public speaking) and to the Temple Bar Food Market every Saturday.

The Cow's Lane Market is a fashion and design market which takes place on Cow's Lane every Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. NICE BLOG!!! Over the years, fashion has taken sudden turns. Fashion was not only secluded to one area. It is spread out all over the world. But in every country it also depends on its culture and traditions. To become a successful designer it is very imperative to choose the right institute. Thanks for sharing...
    Top Fashion Design Colleges Pune
    Fashion Design colleges in Pune

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE POST!!! Fashion designing is among the most chosen careers by the younger invention of today. This is true that fashion designing offers a plethora of other courses which opens the door of various career choice and prospects. Thanks for sharing. fashion designing colleges in Bangalore offers various courses and programmes in fashion courses, which are very impressive and prepares students for fashion world.
    To Know More Information Visit: http://www.wlcifashion.in/

    ReplyDelete